Pages

Friday, November 25, 2011

Turkey Day

Thanksgiving 2011


Menu:
Warm Brie with Apricot Jam & Pecans
Ham Asparagus Roll-ups
Warm Cranberry Apple Cider
Brined and Roasted Turkey
Stuffing with Apples and Cranberries
Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Homemade Cranberry Sauce
Roasted Butternut Squash with Brown Sugar Glaze
Rosemary Rolls
Green Beans (Brought by Mary)
Green Salad (Brought by Brenda)
Bourbon-Molasses Pecan Pie (Which was HORRIBLE)
Pumpkin Pie (Brought by Donna)
LOTS OF WINE! 
Thanksgiving went pretty smoothly with only a few "Almost Disasters". I had a big table set up in the kitchen with all my serving trays laid out, and I prepped almost everything the day before. Chopped all the veggies, made the gravy (added the drippings the next day), made the cranberry sauce (twice), and got the turkey in the brine. The morning of Thanksgiving I roasted the squash, and then baked it with the glaze 10 minutes before dinner, and I was able to cook the stuffing after the turkey was done. It's so much easier to cook the side dishes after your turkey comes out of the oven.
Almost Disaster #1- Started making the brine about 5hrs before we needed to put the turkey in, not realizing that the brine would need ALL day to cool. Disaster averted by pouring the brine in three smaller containers and placing them in the sink of cold water!
Actual Disaster #2- Thank goodness we tasted the first batch of cranberry sauce, because the orange I used must have been bitter. The sauce left a HORRIBLE taste on your tongue. So once again Martin came to the rescue and went to the store and got more Cranberries, and orange juice. The second batch was AMAZING! 
Actual Disaster #3- Forgot the Pecans were in the oven roasting. Mmm Black Pecans. Again, Martin to the store!
Almost Disaster #4- Forgot the Pecans were in a pan roasting on the stove. So they were slightly black, but still tasted yummy.
Otherwise everything turned out great. And the pumpkins from Halloween were still perfect for decorating since it’s been so cold outside. So I finally got to do my pumpkin vase!
Unfortunately I didn't get a picture of the turkey, but I assure you it was amazing.
OOOHH! The pie... I cooked it the EXACT length it was supposed to be cooked, firm around the edges and slightly gooey in the center. Well when I cut into it, I knew something was wrong. I took one bite, and quietly walked into the kitchen to spit it into the sink. I swear none of the alcohol cooked off! I got tipsy off one bite! The crust was lovely though, and we had Donna's pumpkin pie. So NO on the Molasses-Bourbon Pecan pie. However my dad liked it, so he took it home.
I made a pumpkin pie today, and almost passed out it tasted so good!
Not to brag or anything, but do I know how to set a table or what?!
Of course having orange dishes certainly helps.








The only two pictures of Lenora in her Thanksgiving outfit. Her sweater dress and brown tights. She was being a stinker and wouldn't sit still. I guess she was too exciting for all the guests who were about to arrive. Don't you just love her 'Cheese' face?

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the lovely dinner. By far one of the most beautiful and flavorful Thanksgivings ever. Very nice evening.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete